Enterprise resource planning (ERP) is a software platform that companies operate to manage their back-office operations. These include accounting, material procurement, supply chain functions, inventory control, and project management. This system combines multiple business processes to ensure the smooth flow of information between them. It creates a centralized repository for collecting and processing transactional data for different departments. This minimizes the occurrence of common clerical mistakes resulting from data duplication.
E-commerce ERP integration and its positive contribution to your company
E-commerce enterprise resource planning (ERP) integration refers to combining the companies’ e-commerce storefronts with their ERP software platform. It eliminates the companies’ employees’ need to enter into various types of business data into two separate independent systems. This helps you to streamline and automate the data workflow between e-commerce storefronts and back-office ERP systems. It even allows different departments to share data across separate business systems to boost productivity and track revenue.
Companies might consider it necessary to implement an e-commerce ERP platform in IT infrastructure when:
- Re-recording data from the e-commerce storefront to the ERP system is time-consuming,
- They cannot always get real-time information regarding inventory, costs, and revenue,
- Key performance information on current product-lines is difficult to obtain,
- Streamlining workflow of different business processes is becoming an issue, and
- Operating independent business software systems is hampering growth prospects.
Key factors to consider when implementing an E-commerce ERP system
Companies should consider the following factors when installing an ecommerce ERP integration platform:
- Identify the business data which the new system will eventually store and process,
- It should have user-friendly registration procedures for recording new customers,
- The system should have an in-built data migration module for re-recording information,
- It should generate instant error messages whenever cases of data duplication occur,
- The platform should offer adequate security features to prevent unauthorized data access,
- It should use the latest artificial intelligence and cloud technology,
- The system should integrate with other business software solutions easily,
- Be capable of operating as an on-premises, cloud-computing, or hybrid platform, and
- It should have an in-built data recovery module in case of a sudden system failure.
Benefits of using an E-commerce ERP platform
Companies enjoy the following advantages by implementing an e-commerce ERP platform in their IT infrastructure;
- Minimizes operating costs,
- Better inventory control by reducing avoidable material wastage,
- Boosts internal efficiency by eliminating data duplication,
- Enhances customer satisfaction as online buyers get real-time product information,
- Ensures consistency of customers, online orders, payment and shipping data,
- They get better insights into business performance by analyzing revenue metrics, and
- The system allows them to handle short-term sales demands efficiently.
Operating an ecommerce ERP integration platform enables companies to streamline their entire back-office operations seamlessly. They can significantly reduce operating costs, ensure better inventory control, and prevent data duplication. This results in an increase in internal efficiency in the business. Companies canboost customer satisfaction by providing their buyer’s real-time product, payment, and shipping details.However, the system they use should suit their need and have adequate security features. It should integrate easily with other business solutions and adopt the latest cloud technology to boost internal operations’ efficiency with success.